Background

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Blizzard That Wasn't

At the beginning of this week, we were expecting a large amount of snow.  That is what we had been told for days.  We were to expect rain starting Sunday evening, that would change over to snow on Monday and the storm would come to an end on Tuesday.  

I prepared for the weather.  We went to the grocery store, filled up the cars with gas, and I had planned activities for the children to do while school was out.  With the amount of snow they were predicting, there was no way school would be in session.

I was ready.  I was looking forward to a break in our week.  I was excited to spend more time with my children, to have fun.

The rain started Sunday night.  The change over to snow didn't happen.  We had a few moments of sleet or a rain/snow mix, but we just were not having the snow that they had said.  It was too warm.  

We had a day full of cold rain.  It was fantastic!  We have been in a drought pattern lately; one of the worst ever recorded.  This rain will help offset the drought.

It wasn't until bedtime that I realized we were going to be in school after all.  I have to admit, I was pretty bummed.  I was so looking forward to some extra time with the kids.  Instead, it was business as usual.  

The next day, I was shocked at how many people were making negative comments about the meteorologists.  Some of them were just terrible!  Sure, it is their job to forecast the weather; but it doesn't always work out.  I mean, it is Oklahoma for crying out loud!  

The weather around here is very unusual.  Everyone knows that if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change.  Give them a break!  Sure, they got it wrong.  Big deal.  It wasn't the first time, and it will not be the last.  

I think we need to remember to be kind in our opinions and what we say.  The other person has feelings, too.  Just because you may be posting it to facebook, or the like, instead of saying it to the persons face does not make it any less hurtful.  

Be kind to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment