Background

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Spiritual Goals


Today I will finish the first 28 days of my year-long bible reading adventure.  Reading the entire bible has always seemed so overwhelming to me.  I have always wanted to, but it just seemed like such a huge task.  This year, our pastor taught a series about how small things can make a big difference.  He mentioned how reading the bible in a year is not nearly as overwhelming if you focus on reading a little bit each day; follow a plan.  So, that is what I am doing.  I am reading about 4 chapters a day, and it is going really well!  I am so glad I took this challenge.  

I also challenged myself to a 21 day fast.  This year I chose to follow the Daniel fast, where I would eliminate breads, sugar, and meat from my diet.  I followed the plan very well for 15 days, then I had to modify it a bit.  My body had had enough, and rumor has it I was “exceptionally cranky”  and so I added back in meat for one meal a day for the remaining 6 days.  Now that the fast is over, I have noticed my tastes have changed and I don’t like a lot of the foods I enjoyed before.  Funny how that works, isn’t it?

Last year, I had made a commitment to read more devotionals and bible studies.  I am happy to say that I did just that.  I immersed myself in several Beth Moore books, some by Priscilla Shirer, and a much needed study on boundaries.  

This year I am planning to continue reading as many bible studies as I can get my hands on, along with my year-long reading adventure.  I am also hoping to write some of my own studies.  I feel like I am being led to write my story so that I can use it to reach others.  While I am still coming to terms with this, as I am a private person when it comes to my family and my past, I need to follow His leadings.  

What are your plans for this year?  Have you set your spiritual goals as well as the goals for the rest of your life?  If not, I encourage you to do so.  You won’t regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment